Translate

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Meanwhile back in Paris-



Madame has returned back from her stroll in the Tuileries Gardens.
Waiting for her is a post from Philadelphia.



The news is shocking!



She is prostrate with grief-
she does not want to believe her transgression of the past
could cause even more pain to someone now almost twenty years later.
Especially to someone so innocent and unaware of it’s source.




Almost twenty years ago, two sisters- Elvira and Susan Scattergood 
came to Paris on their Grand Tour.
They stopped to visit a distant cousin Madame Robillard.
It is in her Salon that they were introduced to Mr. Frederic Spedden,
a wealthy American from north of Boston.




Frederic took a liking to Susan, and she to him.
Unfortunately unbeknownst to the sisters,
he was already betrothed!




But Susan’s heart was already in danger-
as well as her reputation.
Elvira did everything within her power to stop the chain of events
that would bring disgrace to her sister-
but to no avail.




And now years later- not only is Susan still paying the price-
But so will others, an entire continent away.



8 comments:

  1. Hey Philip
    Great tale, and I loved the black and white pictures. the room looks wonderful!
    Take care
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good story, Philip! Love how the photos help tell it. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your interest John, Simon and Jennifer, it is wonderful to have an outlet for my overactive imagination,
    and to be able to incorporate two of my passions. I have probably read too much Edith Wharton, Henry James and E.M. Forester.
    I am anxious to see what happens myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Philip,
    I don't know what I enjoyed the most...the great tragedy storyline, or the absolutely fantastic pictures and interiors.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Jane (Austen, of course) said "Loss of virtue in a female is irretrievable; that one false step involves her in endless ruin; that her reputation is no less brittle than it is beautiful; and that she cannot be too much guarded in her behaviour towards the undeserving of the other sex." Well, sometimes Jane is a little outdated....., but fun nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neen, wasn't it Mary Bennet who said it in Pride and Prejudice?. I always thought she was a much unappreciated character.
      Her self confidence, albeit a little unaware, was admirable considering her being surrounded by Lydia, Kitty and such a Mother.
      But isn't it amazing that even with today's "loose" morals, those double standards for men and women still apply.
      Now you have exposed me, for the puritan I can be.

      Delete
    2. Philip, I enjoy your blog very much! You are not a puritan, you are good company. "My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company. You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.” (Persuasion ( yes, I am a Jane Austen fanatic))

      Delete